Sunday 29 April 2012

Big Step

If any of you have been reading this blog you will know that my husband has what is "lovingly" referred to as RHS and it takes a lot of patience on both sides to hear each other out.  Of course it is a huge decision to adopt a child and even more so when you thought  you were done raising children and then something hits you (mostly women) that you're not done.  You still have more to give, perhaps even to a child that is not your own, one who has no family, no love, no future.  Once your eyes and your heart has been opened to the orphans of the world you can't go back, you can't forget but how do you share this feeling with your spouse who still has no idea.  Don't get me wrong, he's a loving father, a fantastic husband and a wonderful person but his eyes are still closed to the orphan situation; children without parents.  He's not completely stone cold, he feels a little bit, he'll say - give them money, give a thousand, give more but why do we have to adopt?? That is the question.  Well, because money is not everything, money is only the tip of the iceberg for this child who is orphaned.  They need more, so much more than money or material things, they need love, compassion, support, hugs and kisses, lots of them and I want to give that to one child doesn't have it.  We've been talking for months now and slowly, very slowly the RHS hubby has agreed for me to do all I can to find out about a certain child I'll call LB and see if she is available for International adoption.  There seems to be no agency who covers her region but she is special needs so there might be a chance.  So, how are we going to get to this child and yes my goodness, this is where the hubby comes in, what will it cost.  I know you can't put a price on a life but reality is I do have to think about it, there is no two ways about it, will we have the finances to bring her home.  So, I am looking into a lot of things at the moment, the agency, the orphanage, the finances and LB's sepcial need - PKU.  I must admit I've never heard of it before but now have some idea of what it is, low protein diet.  On the surface it seems not a big deal but there are many details involved such as protein counting, blood tests, special formula.  I've researched a lot on it already and know where to get the food, most of which are covered by our provincial health insurance, the formula, covered as well and blood tests.  I know where the PKU clinic is to send the tests to and get results from to make sure LB stays under the level that is right for her.  If anyone has a PKU child I'd love to hear from you as I'm sure I'll need some support with it.  So, this is my news, a small step but an importand one none the less.  Please, keep praying for me, thanks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment